Majhx4
4334 People Lost in total 158343 lbs = 12.14 %
Give us permission to add your
before & after Weight Loss Photos
Katslater1976
Maryellen
ReplyPost New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2011, 12:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Veteran

Weight Statistics

February 1, 2011
Start Date:
AUGUST 30TH, 2011
Surgery Date:
5' 6"
Height:
274 lb
Start Weight:
127 lb
Current Weight:
160 lb
Goal Weight:
147 lb
Weight Loss:
-33 lb
Lb Left to Lose:
53.6496350365 %
% Lost:
1 year
Goal Date:

Body Mass Index
BMI Start:
BMI Current:
BMI Goal:

Weight Loss Method
Roux en Y Gastric Bypass
Question Need help with choosing Lap band or Gastric Bypass

I have been going back and forth about this for about a year. The thing that scares me the most is that I am making an alteration to my body. (Not that fat isn't).

I want to make a decision that has the least impact on my overall health and wellbeing for a lifetime but I need the surgery that will give me a healthful life and an extended lifetime.

I have been pretty thin most of my life. Some points model thin and some points just having some meat on my bones. Since my Dad was diagnoised with cancer and then over the next three years of chemo and then his passing has been an uphill battle of weight for me sitting me where I am currently at 274. I have never typed that to anyone. The fact I am revealing it now means I am tired. I get off the floor like an old lady when I am only 42. My husband runs marathons and what isn't bone is muscle on him. He has always been totally understand. And for that I am beyond grateful. My Mom has always been severely overweight. I have always been athlectically inclined. Now it is a chore to go to the 2nd floor of my house and I hate it. We went to Europe just recently and I had anxiety there because I was worried some of the ancient monuments I wanted to see may have so many steps I did not want to embarrass myself. We did two plane rides to one country. Two to another. Two coming back to originating country and two more coming home. Each time I felt anxiety about the seat belt not being big enough and having to ask for an extension. I had to do that once. I was mortified. And had to stuff my big old butt in a seat for someone 1/2 my size.

Mind you that I really don't feel that big but when I see photos of myself. I see my eyes, my hair but not the bloated person underneath.

I want to make the correct decision. I am leaning towards the Lap Band. Seems less invasive and easier to correct. However, it will take longer to lose.

Anyone can weigh in for me?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Alt Weight Loss Surgery Insurance
Yes, you can often get insurance cover for your Weight Loss Surgery.
Our own Craig "Big-T" Thompson has been there and done that, and he's written an e-book about it.

Old 05-14-2011, 12:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Seasoned Veteran

Weight Statistics

3/18/2008 (dieted all my life)
Start Date:
9/30/2008
Surgery Date:
5' 8"
Height:
292 lb
Start Weight:
192 lb
Current Weight:
189 lb
Goal Weight:
100 lb
Weight Loss:
3 lb
Lb Left to Lose:
34.2465753425 %
% Lost:
2 years
Goal Date:

Body Mass Index
BMI Start:
BMI Current:
BMI Goal:

Weight Loss Method
Roux en Y Gastric Bypass

Hello and welcome. I went into this weight loss surgery deal thinking that I wanted lapband. I saw two doctors that both were very honest with me and said that they though that R N Y would be the best thing for me. I am so glad that is what I had. It saved my life. I am living life now not just watching it go by. If you do a lot of research on both I think you will make the right choice. We have some banders here and some sleeve people.. I hope you will also hear from them. It is your choice. As for as me, I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Love to Share , Health to Spare, and Friends that Care!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-14-2011, 12:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Whipper Snapper

Weight Statistics

4/20/11
Start Date:
5/04/11
Surgery Date:
5' 6"
Height:
252 lb
Start Weight:
219 lb
Current Weight:
155 lb
Goal Weight:
33 lb
Weight Loss:
64 lb
Lb Left to Lose:
13.0952380952 %
% Lost:
09/01/12
Goal Date:

Body Mass Index
BMI Start:
BMI Current:
BMI Goal:

Weight Loss Method
Roux en Y Gastric Bypass

Hi, I had that same problem I couldn't make my mind up. I went through all the pretesting and nutritionalist and still couldn't decide. I didn't decide until 2 weeks before my surgery. After meeting w/the doctor and since sweets was a huge thing for me she said that gastric would be better since I might not even be able to tolerate them anymore at all. With the band she said that everyone is able to still eat everything and if they are not consisitant about getting it tightened they can slip alot of food in their bellies and alot of pt's were coming back not losing as much weight as they hoped w/the band. So that's why I decided to do RNY I just had it done May 3.

Old 05-14-2011, 01:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Big Loser

Weight Statistics

9/23/10
Start Date:
10/07/10
Surgery Date:
5' 4"
Height:
239 lb
Start Weight:
128 lb
Current Weight:
128 lb
Goal Weight:
111 lb
Weight Loss:
46.4435146444 %
% Lost:
10/07/11
Goal Date:

Body Mass Index
BMI Start:
BMI Current:
BMI Goal:

Weight Loss Method
Roux en Y Gastric Bypass

This is actually a very personal decision. My suggestion is to do as much research good and bad about both surgeries. Many of us knew immediately what we wanted and others made changes based on what our docs told us or what we researched. I don't know if anyone will tell you what you should do but most of us will tell you we are happy with our decisions. My suggestion is for you to look at how much you want to loose, what lifestyle you would like post surgery, and the side effects or lasting effects of all the surgeries out there. RNY was not my first choice. I wanted the sleeve but my insurance didn't cover it. Do your research, look at what others have to say, but really really make your decision on what you think is best for you. Wish I was more help
Cyndie

Old 05-14-2011, 01:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

Weight Statistics

December 10, 2009
Start Date:
December 10, 2009
Surgery Date:
5' 8"
Height:
298 lb
Start Weight:
176 lb
Current Weight:
160 lb
Goal Weight:
122 lb
Weight Loss:
16 lb
Lb Left to Lose:
40.9395973154 %
% Lost:
12/10/11
Goal Date:

Body Mass Index
BMI Start:
BMI Current:
BMI Goal:

Weight Loss Method
Roux en Y Gastric Bypass

For me it really wasn't an option as I have an auto-immune disorder that made the lap band not a good option. I can say that I had RNY and it has made the biggest difference in my life. I am 1 & 1/2 years post-op and only 16 lbs from my goal. I won't lie.. it has not always been easy... it is a complete dietary change.. espcially with RNY because of the physical changes to my digestive system, but I can say that even with the "side effects" ... it has been worth it. I am sure you will choose the option that is best for you.

I suggest meeting with a surgeon and discussing your goals and options.. they wlll be able to look at the whole picture and from a professional point of view let you know what they feel with bring you the best long term success.

Old 05-14-2011, 01:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Veteran

Location: Just north of Iowa, not far from I-35. 2nd star on the right and straight on 'til morning!

Weight Statistics

December 13, 2007 (pre-op liquid diet started)
Start Date:
December 27, 2007
Surgery Date:
5' 9"
Height:
290 lb
Start Weight:
182 lb
Current Weight:
184 lb
Goal Weight:
108 lb
Weight Loss:
-2 lb
Lb Left to Lose:
37.2413793103 %
% Lost:
Originally - 12/08. Actually - 8/08.
Goal Date:

Body Mass Index
BMI Start:
BMI Current:
BMI Goal:

Weight Loss Method
Roux en Y Gastric Bypass

My surgeon talked me out of the band and into the bypass for a number of good reasons. It was the best decision I ever made, and my wife was so impressed with my results she had RNY too. We're about 220 pounds lighter around here now, and no regrets.

With either technique, you will need to go back to the surgeon's office for periodic checks and followup appointments, so that's no difference. (People who neglect to go for these visits usually have a lot more problems and a lot less success than those who do.)

With either technique, you should be able to eventually drop 100 pounds, although the band will be slower, so that's ultimately no difference, as long as you're patient enough to watch the bypassers go roaring past you if you band.

With RNY, there is a permanent modification to your digestive system. Once it heals, it is what it is. Barring complications, there will be no need for maintenance or adjustments. There is no foreign body inside you. There is in many cases the control mechanism known as "dumping", where your pouch rules on how it likes what you send it and punishes you if you displease it. Not everyone dumps, though, so you may have to be good just because you have to be good!

With the band, there is no permanent modification to the system, just a restricting collar around your stomach. You have no dumping (not the kind RNYers have) so it is possible to cheat. Milkshakes slide past a band real easy, and once past, it's just like old times! With the band, there is a foreign object inside you. There is a fill port sewn onto your abdominal muscles. The surgeon has to periodically adjust your band size by injecting or removing fluid from the band through this port. These adjustments may or may not be covered by insurance. If not adjusted correctly, you will not enjoy full success.

We have a number of banders here who had problems with their bands and went in for revisions, where the band is removed, damage (if present) is allowed to heal and then the surgeon does a bypass. I'm not aware of anyone who has gone the other way. Use the Search function with the keywords "band", "revision", etc.

This is your decision and no one here would ever dare try to make it for you. You have to live with it. We don't! All we will do is tell you our experiences, warts and all. No matter how you do it, once you're at a certain level, there is no easy way to lose the weight. No matter what you do, it's going to require a complete and total transformation of your relationship with food. The surgery only gives you a tool. Used with skill, it'll change your life. But there are failure stories too of those who didn't follow the rules, so no matter what you choose, be prepared for a long hard sustained effort that'll take you places you cannot now imagine!!

It's tough, but it's worth it!! Do your research and make a wise choice that best meets your needs.

Welcome to the family!!

CT

Dare to live your dream!!

Living healthy takes work. Dying fat is easy!!

"That which we persist in doing becomes easier, not that the nature of the task has changed, but that our capacity to do has increased." - HJ Grant

"Do, or do not. There is no try!" - Yoda

My life tomorrow will be the result of my attitudes and the choices I make today. - Karlos (RIP my friend!)
Old 05-14-2011, 06:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
WLS Master Guru

Weight Statistics

12/30/2010
Start Date:
1/31/2011
Surgery Date:
5' 1"
Height:
260 lb
Start Weight:
171 lb
Current Weight:
130 lb
Goal Weight:
89 lb
Weight Loss:
41 lb
Lb Left to Lose:
34.2307692308 %
% Lost:

Body Mass Index
BMI Start:
BMI Current:
BMI Goal:

Weight Loss Method
Roux en Y Gastric Bypass

Hi Motoco and welcome. This decision is extremely personal and you will have to decide. I can however tell you my story and what happened to me. I was one of the revisions that Perfesser was talking about. In 2005 I went in determined to have the band done. My doctor was a band doctor and that was all he did, so he really didn't give me any more feedback about other options.

However, I heard all the bad stories and didn't want that invasive bypass...it was too SCARY! But I still had basically the same procedure as far as the actual surgery part of it goes(meaning it wasn't open it was all through the belly button). I didn't mind going in for fills at first, but then when we couldn't find my sweet spot and I would have to go get fluid taken out because I was too tight and couldn't eat and then I was too lose and could eat anything. It became a pain...literally.

Eventually, I got my band area inflamed and my esophagus as well, from throwing up that I ended up having to have all my fluid out and letting it rest for weeks. I eventually gained the 70 pounds back that I had choked and puked my way down to. Now having said that...I was just as much to blame as my band...I was NOT compliant all the time. That is the key to anything WLS you get is being compliant and following the rules. If you don't do that then there won't be anything that will get the weight off. I know several successful banders who have lost their weight and are at goal.

Fast forward to 2011, again I felt I was ready to try WLS again, because I was determined to be more successful. I went in with the intention of getting the sleeve done. New doctor and he does all the surgeries and he said a sleeve wasn't going to work for me as well as a bypass would. Also that was all my insurance would pay for. So I said ok, BCBS and God must want me to get a bypass and I did. It was the BEST thing I ever did for myself. I could kick myself for not getting it in 05, but then I think that maybe I still wouldn't have been in the right frame of mind like I am now. Some days it isn't easy and some days I just float through the day because food doesn't control me anymore. The bypass isn't for everyone, but it was the right decision for my hard-headed self. :-) I hope this helps.

That is how my story went, you will have your own story, but it will be one that you and your doctor will have to decide on. Some people don't mind the fills for their band, but either way you go it is a lifetime commitment of being compliant and following the rules.
Next Mini Goal 145, the weight I was at in 6th grade!
SW/DoS/Cur/Goal
260/235/171/130
Old 05-14-2011, 06:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Guru In Training

Weight Statistics

January 31,2011
Surgery Date:
5' 3"
Height:
310 lb
Start Weight:
209 lb
Current Weight:
135 lb
Goal Weight:
101 lb
Weight Loss:
74 lb
Lb Left to Lose:
32.5806451613 %
% Lost:
2/2012
Goal Date:

Body Mass Index
BMI Start:
BMI Current:
BMI Goal:

Weight Loss Method
Roux en Y Gastric Bypass

Hi and welcome...this is solely your decision...many people will tell you their opinions but it is your choice...this for me was the hardest decision...my original choice was lap band..I kept the RNY in the back of my head but was determined on the band...I did a ton of research on both to the point that my head would ache when I thought about it....all the research I did was so overwhelming...I knew the RNY would be best but didn't want to accept it..when I met with my surgeon (she has done thousands of both band and RNY)she confirmed what I already knew. RNY would be the best choice for me...once I said ok you're right I started crying because I instantly became at peace with the decision...everyone is different just keep an open mind and talk with your surgeon and then decide it doesn't have to be decided on until you make your surgery date..GOOD LUCK and keep us updated.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Veteran

Weight Statistics

2 Feb., 2011
Surgery Date:
5' 4"
Height:
252 lb
Start Weight:
127 lb
Current Weight:
149 lb
Goal Weight:
125 lb
Weight Loss:
-22 lb
Lb Left to Lose:
49.6031746032 %
% Lost:

Body Mass Index
BMI Start:
BMI Current:
BMI Goal:

Weight Loss Method
Roux en Y Gastric Bypass

Hi MotoCo and welcome!
I think you'll see a pattern forming here but certainly as others have said, do your homework and make the decision that feels right in your mind.

I too thought it was going to be lapband. Less invasive overall and reversible. What if I didn't like being thin? What if I made a big mistake? I could always "undo" it!

I talked a couple of times with my pcp and he told me straight up-banders are not as sucessful-proven fact. I have/had diabetes, RNY could cure my diabetes, band will not. I went to my first informational meeting at the hospital I had chosen to do my surgery still thinking I was doing the band. After all, I was going to be the one to prove my pcp wrong.

The doc doing the presentation that night happened to be the surgeon I decided to let do my sugery. He told us about both the band, and rny. In depth. When he was done I stood up to go sign up for my first nutrition appointment and had already decided I was having rny. I didn't want to have to go back for continued maintenance. I didn't want to possibly be a failure. I had to do this right the first time because I was afraid I wouldn't get another chance at it.

My surgery was a little over three months ago. The surgery and recovery was a breeze and I'm losing weight consistantly. I feel very blessed to have had the surgery and been given the opportunity to find good health again.

All that said I have a very good friend who is a bander. She's lost all her weight and has done fabulously!!! She has no regrets.

It is a very personal decision, you'll make the one that's right for you!

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." ~Ambrose Redmoon
Old 05-14-2011, 09:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Cub Reporter

Weight Statistics

01/18/11
Start Date:
01/28/11
Surgery Date:
5' 6"
Height:
273 lb
Start Weight:
155 lb
Current Weight:
165 lb
Goal Weight:
118 lb
Weight Loss:
-10 lb
Lb Left to Lose:
43.2234432234 %
% Lost:
7/2012
Goal Date:

Body Mass Index
BMI Start:
BMI Current:
BMI Goal:

Weight Loss Method
Roux en Y Gastric Bypass

Hey MotoCo, it is good to hear other peoples stories but you are you. No one persons story will necessarily be yours. There are a few things I read in your story that I could relate too. In 2003 I was where you are. I researched the band and Rny and became very nervous about the risk to rewards aspect of the too. The average weight loss with the band is about 50% of what you need to loose. And beleive me most people never make it there. Very few loose more than that %. While the surgery is a breeze the side effects can be very major. They were with me. I had my band for over 7 years. I suffered every day with vomiting and severe reflux to the point of damaging my esophigus. Now let me say when I had my band there was only one size which was too small and brought too much restriction on its own. Today they have different size bands. Do your research and talk to your surgeon. But still the same problem exist you can get around the band. If you are not 100% comitted to the program. This is your body and your decision. Let me tell you though I went with the band mostly because I thought it was after all not perminent. If things went badly I could have it taken off. Which I did 3 months ago. And let me tell you taking it off is a major ordeal. Not so simple at all. Scare tissue and adhering of band to stomach tissue required me to cut open 6". Recovery from that was major. I decided to have the RNY at that time and I am soo happy I did. The recovery was harder but it feels great to eat a "small" meal and feel full and normal. I really can't explain the discomfort and pain that was involved in trying to get food to go through that band. And could not count the times it had to come up to stop the pain. And then I was still hungry and started all over. Remember this was only my reality but I will tell you all the people I came in contact with over the 7+ years that had the band. Not one of them lost the weight and kept it off. Not one. Many of them are even bigger now. Research, Pray and listen to your surgeon. Beleive me my surgeon told the the percentage of his band patients that had been successful. It was the norm. Good Luck and God Bless

ReplyPost New Thread

Tags
choosing, gastric bypass, lap band, weight loss